Importance of Institutional Planning
26th June 2020
Institutional Planning has been treated as the basic unit or grass root level of the larger educational planning. When a plan is prepared by a particular institute on the basis of its own development and improvement, we call it Institutional Planning. The main purpose of Institutional Planning is to improve the school programme and school practices. It is based on the principle of optimum utilization of the resources available in the school and community.
Objectives of Institutional Planning:-
- To provide equal opportunities to all the pupils to get education.
- To bring in improvement in the structure of the educational institute.
- To bring proper direction to functioning of the educational institute.
- To make teachers active and strategic thinkers so that they can contribute towards the improvement and development of institution and the programmes of the institution.
- To develop a comprehensive programme of improvement the educational system by focusing on the all-important required parameters through optimum utilization of resources.
- To shift the emphasis from expenditure orientation to effort orientation.
- To make education productive.
- To bring an accord between the development of an institution and national level planning.
- To provide realistic and concrete ideas to educational planning.
- To develop and promote a democratic environment.
- To make education available to the poorest of the citizens.
If we try to explore the need and importance of Institutional Planning, few prominent, few factors come in perspective:-
- Betterment and improvement of the institution
- Give proper direction to educational objectives
- Maximum utilization of resources
- Encourage individual teacher initiative
Scope of Institutional Planning:-
- Improvement of the school campus
- Improvement of the academic facilities
- Improvement of the co-curricular activities
- School improvement projects
There is a certain procedure to follow in Institutional Planning, the steps are as follows:-
Analysis ----> Survey ----> Improvement ----> Implementation ----> Evaluation
Benefits of Institutional Planning:-
- Since Teachers are also involved in the planning process, therefore makes the process more democratic in nature.
- It is more realistic in nature as because it involves data collected from the actual stake holders – students, teachers and parents.
- It avoids wastage as it is founded on knowledge about the actual needs of the students and the community.
- Since this process involves an all-round approach where first-hand knowledge is available from the teachers and students on the strengths, weakness and problems that arise in different situations and also in the classrooms.
Institutional Planning, therefore, should be a working plan, based on the capacity of teachers the needs of the pupils and the local community. If it is followed intensively, the teaching, organization and administration become systematic and effective.